See it all Tour
- The Coast and the Russian River Drive Coleman Valley Road from the Inn to the coast. One of the most beautiful drives you’ll ever take, this 25-minute jaunt takes you through forests, pastoral valleys, and finally, to the rugged coastline. Hop out and take in the stunning views of the beaches and the waves crashing on the cliffs.
- Diverge a mile south to Salmon Creek Beach and kick up a little sand. Then drive north up Highway 1 to the small village of Jenner.
- Enjoy both Russian River and ocean views at River’s End restaurant. Stay for lunch and sample something off the wonderful wine list.
- Head east on Highway 116 along the Russian River to the picturesque town of Duncan Mills. Check out the Christopher Queen Gallery and all the great little shops.
- Head back to Occidental on Moscow Road and return to the Inn for wine hour.
- Relax with a glass of wine until it’s time for your dinner reservation at one of our local restaurants..
Wineries and Healdsburg
- Head out Graton Road. Turn left on Highway 116 and left again at Ross Station Road.
- Drive to the end of this lovely wine country road to Iron Horse Ranch and Vineyards. Enjoy the fabulous view and the breezes from the outdoor tasting room. From a sparkling Wedding Cuvée to a dark, rich Cabernet, the winery offers a list of wines a mile long.
- Go back and turn left on Highway 116. Turn right on Mirabel Road to River Road. At the intersection of Mirabel Road and River Road, turn right and then immediately left on Wohler Road, which becomes Westside Road.
- Westside Road winds through some of Sonoma’s prettiest vineyard countryside. Take your time enjoying the wineries along this classic Sonoma landscape, including our favorites, Moshin, Rochioli, and Gary Farrell.
- Have a late lunch at one Healdsburg’s many eateries. We suggest the Dry Creek Kitchen for a fancy meal, Charcuterie for a mid-priced meal, or Oakville Grocery for a quick, gourmet sandwich or pizza.
- Spend the rest of the afternoon strolling the town square. You’ll find stylish clothing, gifts, decorative accessories, and many a coffee bar, bakery, and restaurant. Check out our shopping in Healdsburg page for some tips. Leave Healdsburg going south on Highway 101.
- Stop in Santa Rosa for your dinner reservation at John Ash & Co. Exit on River Road and turn left on Barnes Road. The restaurant is located inside the Vintners Inn. Savor the restaurant’s innovative wine country cuisine and stunning vineyard views. Take River Road back to Mirabel Road and retrace your way back to the Inn.
- Don’t forget to stop in the foyer to grab your nightly “sweet dreams” cookie.
Redwoods and Osmosis
- Whether walking, hiking, or on horseback, the Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve is not to be missed! Request a picnic lunch and a trail map from the Inn before you head out.
- Go north on Bohemian Highway and continue until the road dead ends into Highway 116. Turn right onto 116 east and go into the town of Guerneville. Turn left onto Armstrong Woods Road and drive for about three miles. Park at the Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve visitor center.
- Majestic beauty at the Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve.
- Take out your trail map and choose the trail that suits your fancy. The map describes a number of walks and hikes of varying lengths and difficulty. Experience the magic these 1,400-year-old trees share with you. The silence, the quiet, and the beauty are simply breathtaking.
- Unpack your picnic at Bull Frog Pond – a great place for a leisurely lunch.
- Head back to Occidental and request an Inn copy of An Historical and Anecdotal Walking Tour of the Small (but Fascinating) Village of Occidental, California.
- Stroll the town and peruse its shops until it’s time for your afternoon spa appointment. Drive just five minutes south on Bohemian Highway to Osmosis Enzyme Bath and Massage Center.
- Let two hours of pure pampering ease away your aches and pains.
- Feeling like a noodle, head back to the Inn for wine until you can gather up the strength to drive to the Willow Wood Market Café in Graton for a relaxed dinner.
Gardens and Antiques
- Grab a bottled water from the Inn and pop into Howard’s for a panini (Italian sandwich) to go. Head south on Bohemian Highway. Turn left on Highway 12 and head toward Sebastopol. Take a right on Highway 116 (East Gravenstein Highway) out of Sebastopol.
- Turn right on Hessel Road. Turn right on McFarlane Road. Go about a mile to the top of the rise and turn right and follow the signs to the Sonoma Horticultural Nursery.
- Take your time strolling the grounds at this seven-acre wonderland of flora and fauna. The wooden bridges, fountains, gazebos and miles of pathways take you by flowers of every variety. Picnic on your panini by the pond.
- Head out on Highway 116 back toward Sebastopol and stop at the Antique Society on your right. This warehouse features more 150 antique dealers and rows upon rows of goods from yesteryear.
- Stop and browse at many other antique stores along this “antique row.”
- Enter Sebastopol for your early dinner at K&L Bistro. Save room for dessert and walk down the road to Screamin’ Mimi’s ice cream shoppe. Good luck choosing from the 30-some flavors! They are all delicious.
- Spend the evening catching the latest production at the Sonoma County Repertory Theatre.
Ballooning and Whale Watching
- Head out bright and early for your appointed liftoff in a hot-air balloon with Above the Wine Country Ballooning.
- Fly over the beautiful Sonoma countryside and enjoy the complimentary champagne brunch.
- Head back to the Inn for a short rest before heading out to Bodega Bay for your 1 p.m. whale-watching tour. Take Bohemian Highway south to Bodega Highway. Take a right and drive straight into Bodega Bay.
- Pull into Wil’s Fishing Adventures and get ready for an amazing experience. January through April is the prime time to spot migrating gray whales.
- Head back to the Inn and enjoy wine hour.
- After such a busy day, your best bet for dinner is to stroll down to the Union Hotel for a family-style Italian meal.